Friday, March 04, 2011

Perfect Spring Recipes

With spring just around the corner, I love the idea of showers, luncheons, etc. If you are looking for a different spin on ordinary chicken salad, try this hot chicken salad recipe served on croissants. Serve it with a nice green salad or pasta salad and you've got yourself a great little lunch menu.

Hot Chicken Salad

Ingredients
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup diced celery
2 cup cooked chicken breast meat, cubed (I'm lazy and buy rotisserie chicken and debone)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
2/3 cup crushed potato chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13 by 9 inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken, celery, almonds, salt, pepper, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and cheese. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Spread the crushed potato chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.

And while I'm posting recipes, this is one of my new favorites...fried okra salad. Yum, yum!!

Fried Okra Salad
1 1/2 pounds breaded frozen okra
Vegetable Oil for frying
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 green bell pepper and 1/2 red/orange bell pepper, diced
1 bunch green onions, diced
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar

Fry okra in vegetable oil according to package directions, drain on paper towels. In a medium bowl, combine okra, tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions and bacon. In a small saucepan, combine oil, sugar and vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until sugar dissolves. Pour over okra mixture, tossing gently to coat. (I've also just mixed the oil, vinegar and sugar in a jar and shaken together to save time). Serve immediately.

Happy almost spring, everyone!

3 comments:

Taylor & Krisa said...

yum!! I might have to use these for our annual Easter dinner!

Ashley said...

Yummy- the chk sal recipe sounds delicious- will def gray that one!

Deanna said...

Please make these for our Easter dinner, Krisa! Please!

I think I could eat an entire bowl of that okra salad right now. Of course, the boys would let me because they think okra is gross. Ha!