Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Those in Glass Houses...

I'm going to get real personal here and I might even step on some toes, but I just need to put this out there. I've said many times before that writing is therapy for me, so here goes. We've all heard the saying "those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." I have experienced that all too much lately. Don't get me wrong...I am not without fault. I am a work in progress and I'm so thankful that I have a heavenly Father who loves me unconditionally and reminds me daily that he's not done with me. Recently, it got back to me through my ex (man, that's strange to say) about people making comments to him that I don't watch my children well enough. There were also other comments about what I do and what I don't do....you get the picture. I cried and cried. I was so hurt that not only people who pretend to be my friend talk about me behind my back, but even more so that they question my parenting skills. Unless you walk in the shoes of a single parent, you have no idea what we go through...just as I have no idea what other people may face behind closed doors. The comments from that person aren't even justified, but nonetheless...they hurt. I make sure my kids brush their teeth in the morning and get to school on time, I take them to church, I put notes in their lunches, I snuggle with them at night and read books and the list goes one. If you ask them if I love them, they will probably tell you "to the moon and back." Do I make parenting mistakes? Of course! Do I sometimes let them have candy before bedtime. Yep! Do I let them sleep in my bed? I sure have lately.  Regardless, there are no perfect parents. I would ask anyone who thinks it's okay to talk about someone, especially in regards to their parenting...take a long look in the mirror. Think beforehand about how you would feel if someone questioned your parenting. In general, I'm trying harder to practice what I say before I speak. I tend not to have a filter sometimes (some of us were just born that way), but despite that...I would never intentionally hurt someone's feelings.  I just ask for the same respect.

No comments: