Monday, August 02, 2010

Patience of Job

Oh, Lord...grant me the patience of Job on days like today. I don't think there are many days that go by when my children don't put my patience to the test, but today has truly been a particularly challenging day. Today was my first day back at work after almost four weeks since my surgery. As if that wasn't tiring enough, Colin left at 5:30 this morning for a work trip and my mom had to return to school to get her preschool room ready...so it's an incredibly crazy week. I'm still not supposed to be lifting, but am just having to "make do" since Colin is gone. The morning started off with Landry crying because daddy "was gone in an airplane" and he didn't get to go. After ten minutes of hysteria, he moved on to fighting with his sister over their trays that they use to eat breakfast on. I grabbed my spanking spoon and handed out warnings and order was restored long enough for me to try to get dressed only to hear screaming again. Landry had intercepted the spanking spoon and whacked Addison on top of the head. After wrestling both of them to get their clothes on, teeth brushed, trays put up, etc., we were finally headed out the door. Just as I stepped outside, Landry says "poo-poo mama, change me." (Yes, I realize...he should be doing this on the potty if he can tell me and we're working on it.) Back inside we go to change a stinky. Take two....I try to load both of them into the car and they decide they want to switch car seats. No big deal, right? Wrong! Addison starts throwing a fit after Landry gets buckled in her seat that she can't see the DVD player very well from his car seat and since Colin has strapped it down so tight, I can't make it budge. Sweat is pouring from the sides of my hair that I just finished drying and my silicone bandages that I have to wear over my incisions are no longer sticking because sweat is rolling down the front of my dress. Fun times! I cranked up the A/C and pulled out of the driveway with Addison kicking the back of my seat pretending that I just didn't hear her crying and screaming. I get to Mrs. Lelia's house to drop off the kids and Addison doesn't want to get out. She says she's sick and that she wants me to carry her (remember I'm not supposed to be lifting?). God only knows what time I made it to work this morning. I survived work although I was exhausted by the end of the day. I went to pick up the kids and they were absolutely wild. We grabbed some dinner and came home for baths. The kids like to play in our glass shower, so I threw them in there, lathered them up, sprayed them off and told them to play for just a second while I grabbed their pajamas. I hear Addison screaming and Landry has the sprayer and is spraying the ceiling with it. Yes, you read that right (see pic as proof). My whole bathroom was covered with water and water was literally dripping from the ceiling. In that moment, I finally got that saying about animals eating their young. Lord give me strength!

5 comments:

Tyanne said...

You poor soul! Tomorrow will be better!!! Totally laughed out loud at that last part!

Elizabeth said...

That's hilarious! I'm so sorry you had such a rough day, Sara! But on the upside, it makes for great blogging material! :)

Ashley said...

that made me a little stressed just reading about it! hang in there- I am sure this isn't the first and certainly won't be the last of these kind of days, but luckily, they are only days. Tomorrow will be a new one!

Jennifer said...

I've only got one child but I totally know how you were feeling today! Bless you Momma!

Cortney said...

What a day! I agree with Elizabeth...highly entertaining blog material, but I'm sure it wasn't amusing in real time!