Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Our little gymnast

I went to the doctor yesterday for my second prenatal appointment. I'll be 12 weeks this weekend, so I've almost made it past the first trimester. The nurse came in and tried to listen to the baby with the Doppler, but she couldn't find the heartbeat since I'm still under 12 weeks. I was very nervous at first, but she said that it was completely normal and that we would just have to do a sonogram instead. At one point, she thought she heard the baby moving on the Doppler so that made me feel a little better. We went down the hall for the sonogram and just a few seconds later we could see the baby moving all around and wavings it arms and feet. It was such a wonderful experience! We even saw the baby trying to turn a flip. The ultrasound lady joked about the baby standing on its head. We were very thrilled to see such an active and healthy baby, although I hope that the activity level doesn't mean that we are going to have a hyper child on our hands! =) My next appointment is on March 28th, although we won't find out what we are having until April.

In other news, Colin and I went to Hot Springs for our camping adventure this past weekend. We made it to Hot Springs around 9, found the campground, and plugged in the motorhome for the night. It didn't take long for me to fall asleep after all of that driving. Saturday morning, we got up and showered at the community bath house (not my idea of fun, but it wasn't too terribly bad). We left the campground and had lunch in town. There were tons of people in Hot Springs for the horse races, so we sat in traffic most of the morning as we drove around looking at everything. In the spirit of a camping weekend, we stopped at the convention center for the RV and boat show. Colin is convinced that we are going to get an RV and travel the world, so he was anxious to see what RVs were on display. The show had more boats than they had RVs, but we climbed onto boats and into RVs nonetheless. I decided that I want to buy a party barge to take to the lake, but they are very expensive. With a baby on the way, we won't be buying anything like that for a very long time! After that, we rode to Lake Catherine State Park to check out their campground and cabins. We also played a practical joke on Colin's uncle who lives in Hot Springs while we were there, but that's a whole different story. All in all, we had a good, relaxing trip. I survived the semi-outdoors, but was very glad to get home to my bed. I also came into contact with something during our trip and had an allergic reaction, which caused me to have some bumps form on my eye. I ended up in the eye doctor's office first thing Monday morning and was told that more or less I had what equated to hives in my eye. I didn't know that you could even get hives in your eye, but apparently you can. Moral of the story: don't know if camping agrees with me or not. =)

No comments: