Monday, March 05, 2007

First ER visit







We had an action-packed weekend. I hosted a bridal brunch for my best friend Katie on Saturday. It turned out really nice. I set up the chocolate fountain as part of our spread and the guests loved it. Katie received lots of great gifts and Addison even loved being a socialite for the morning. Sunday, I kept Addison home from church to give her one more day to get well after having been sick all week. But, we ended up having an eventful afternoon because she toppled over from a standing position while I was holding her hands and dislocated her elbow. She screamed with her arm hurting for 30 minutes or more and wouldn't move it or let us lift it, so we packed her up and headed to the ER. We found out that she had nurse maid's elbow, which is really common. They said since babies' bones are so brittle, sometimes the ulna (the smaller bone in the arm) pulls away from the ligament. It's easily fixed by slightly twisting the lower part of the arm while holding the elbow still. In fact, I must have moved her arm accidentally while laying her on the scale in the ER, because by the time the doctor came in.... they said I had fixed the problem. They took x-rays just in case and all was well. Addison was happy as a lark after the x-rays were over and they brought her a pretty pink teddy bear. She immediately started chewing on the tag of the teddy bear and all was right with the world again. =) Even though everything ended up being fine and no permanent damage was done, I had a horrible headache from stress when it was over. Seeing her in pain had upset me more than I realized, so I was glad to see her smiling later that afternoon like nothing ever happened. I'm sure it won't be our last trip to the ER....unfortunately! I've posted a few pics from last week when she was sick and from this weekend.

No comments: