Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Checking In..

Thanks to all of you who have called or emailed to check on us the past few days. We have had some ups and downs, but are trying our best to adjust to our new family. The babies are great. Landry is really laid back so far and pretty much eats and sleeps. He had his outpatient check-up this morning and received the all clear from the neonatal doctors. He is gaining weight and now weighs a little over 6 lbs (he dropped some before we left the hospital) and is just a tiny bit jaundiced, but they aren't concerned since his levels are going down. He has quite the appetite and I can already tell that he is going to eat us out of house and home.

Now for the bad news. I mentioned previously that I have been in a great deal of pain. Well, I saw the doctor on Monday because it has been excruciating for me to walk, shower, get dressed, etc. I can't do anything other than sit in a certain position without having an intense burning pain in my pelvic area an inch or two below my incision. As you can imagine, it's very hard to take care of two small children when you can barely take care of yourself and I know Colin is exhausted. The doctor said that it seems I have a nerve entrapment from my C-section. Basically, when they sewed me back up, a nerve or nerves became trapped and I am feeling the pressure and pain of the nerve being trapped within my inside stitching when I walk or move. Even worse, this is a rare occurrence (I'm her first case in several years of this--lucky me) and nerve pain is hard to treat and can take a long time to heal. She gave me lanacane shots to numb the area on Monday and said that hopefully it would do the trick until my body heals enough where the nerve is no longer trapped. I was told to call back if it didn't help. I didn't feel much relief by Monday night, so I went back this morning for another round of lanacane and she numbed a wider area in hopes of hitting the right spot. I felt a tiny bit better this afternoon, but by tonight I am in a lot of pain again. The lanacane doesn't seem to be penetrating deep enough.

Dr. T said the next step is to see a pain specialist and have them give me a cortisone shot or something else to get me through until my body heals. Since I am still in a great deal of pain tonight, I am going to call in the morning to get an appt. set up with the pain doctor. I was also put on an antibiotic just in case there is an infection of some sort. All this to say that it has been a tough few days. Luckily, I have a wonderful husband and family who are here to help us through. My mom has cooked supper for us the past few nights and Addison, Landry and I are going to spend the day at her house for the next few days as Colin returns to work. Under normal conditions, I am not supposed to drive for two weeks and I can't pick Addison up for six weeks. However, with my nerve entrapment on top of the healing process, I can't do much of anything other than sit and feed Landry or let Addison sit in my lap. I am hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel. We would appreciate any extra prayers sent our way. I hope to be updating soon saying I am pain free!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

say-say...
addison looks JUST like you in those pictures in landry's car seat...and i always said she looks like colin..amazing...
landry is TOO DAHLIN' !!!!!!!!!
take care of yourself...good luck with the pain doctor...hope he finds something that works for you..
love, candee

Deanna said...

Bless your heart! You are truly blessed to have such loving family to take care of you during this time. I hope you are pain free soon!

Ashley said...

so sorry to hear about the complications- I know that must be really hard. We'll all be praying for you to heal quickly.

Jeanelle said...

Oh honey, I'm so sorry to hear about the pain. Extra prayers are coming your way!