First of all, the trip down to the beach started off on the wrong foot/leg (no pun intended) when Colin's ankle started swelling. He played in a tournament last Saturday in Jackson and scraped his leg up pretty good sliding into home plate on an infield made of dust and crushed brick. We had been cleaning his injuries with peroxide and Neosporin and it seemed to be getting better, but then took a turn for the worse on Thursday. I tried to get him to go a walk-in clinic once we got to the beach because of the swelling, but he refused to go. Typical hard-headed man!
In the meantime, I tried to ignore Colin's ankle and relax and enjoy the sun, but the sun ended up becoming my enemy. Despite using SPF30 sunscreen and sitting under a tent for a couple hours, I got severely sunburned. I had so much swelling and fluid in my knees and legs that I couldn't walk on Saturday morning. I was worried that I had sun poisoning or that the baby may be in distress, so I spent two hours at the Urgent Care Clinic at Orange Beach (which just happened to be across the street from our hotel). The doctor said that some people are more sensitive to the sun during pregnancy due to hormones, prenatal vitamins, etc. and gave me some meds for pain and told me to use cold compresses to get the swelling and fluid off my legs. Sidenote: It's now Tuesday and I still have swelling and fluid despite following instructions.
By the time we made it home on Suday, Colin was limping around and could hardly walk because of his leg. I called the doctor first thing Monday morning and dragged him by the hair to the clinic. The doctor said his leg was infected and he has blood poisoning. He was given an antibiotic shot and put on strong antibiotics by mouth for the next week. He has to go back in a week if it's still not clear.
As you can see, we had a very eventful trip. Needless to say, we kept a good sense of humor about it all and laughed at ourselves quite often (especially when he was limping because of his ankle and I was waddling because of swollen legs). It will definitely be a trip that we will never forget. I've posted some pictures of Colin's icky leg....you'll see why I was so mad at him for not wanting to go to the doctor. I've also posted a picture of Abby (my 6-year-old cousin). She had a good time at the beach with us, even though we were in pitiful shape most of the time. =)

No comments:
Post a Comment