Thursday, April 09, 2009

Convictions

Let me preface this by saying politics is not my thing. Although I love this country and care about the people who are running it, politics is not something that I live by nor do I enjoy debating it. However, I've been convicted all day to put this out there and I've finally found a quiet moment to do so. Most of you have heard about the ongoing controversy at Notre Dame and the outrage that has ensued after President Obama was asked to give this year's commencement speech. As I said before, my life is not defined by politics, but it's certainly defined by morals. I'm all for change when it's for the better, but I literally get a sick feeling in my stomach when I hear about Obama's abortion record and I think about our country being led by a President who doesn't believe that life begins at conception. Because life DOES begin at conception and the fact that Obama's mother respected that Biblical principle, he had the opportunity to make history as the first African American President. What if she hadn't? What if her morals were the same as his? Abortion is an intensely personal subject for me. For three years, I cried myself to sleep almost every night pleading and praying for God to give us a baby while I witnessed children on the news be neglected or brutally beaten or saw white wooden crosses be placed on church lawns symbolizing precious babies aborted in our County. I would think "why God? Why can't these women have their baby and give it to me or to one of the many other couples who can't conceive a child of their own?!" I know that pro-choice activists argue that there are instances of abortion that are justified when a woman is raped or when the woman's life is in danger, but my response to that is that with God by your side...you can get through anything. After I lost our first baby, I grieved and begged God to make it be just a bad dream while I heard stories of some women who made appointments to end their baby's life like it was nothing more than a hair appt. Life begins at conception. Anyone who has ever had a sonogram at five or six weeks and has seen a tiny little heartbeat knows that to be true. I look at my two babies and I see God's handprint in everything that they do. How do you think God feels about someone destroying something that he put his heart and soul into creating? How do you think he feels about us having a President that would approve partial birth abortions and believes it's okay to let innocent babies be left alone on a cold, dark table after being pulled from the womb to die. I'm NOT okay with that. Maybe the Lord has a plan for Obama? Or is this a test for us? Perhaps we are the ones being tested to see if we stand by and let tragedies like this continue. Regardless, we all need to pray for these innocent lives whose voices we'll never hear and for the president who supports their silence.

2 comments:

AM said...

Amen, Sarah! I believe life begins the moment the mom's body is changed....with is immediately. I don't understand how anyone who's been pregnant can think that life doesn't begin at conception. But it looks as though our political figures aren't going to enforce morals in politics so it's our jobs to make sure our kids know. I'm not ashamed to say that when my daughter asked who I was voting for and why....I explained to her the moral issues. She cried when Obama was elected knowing that more babies were going to be killed. She's seen the penny memorial in Jackson. She's watching me go thru this pregnancy step-by-step and knows what it's about. I pray that many more children have her convictions...and more people like you, speak up about their own.

Thank you for posting this.

Sweet T said...

Right on! Thanks for this posting.