Friday, January 01, 2010

Ringing in the New Year!

My little New Year's King
Focusing on her sparkler

The fire pit kept us warm and toasty
Landry's fascination with fireworks and sparklers was quickly ruined by their loud noise.

New Year's Day with all the cousins
It's always like romper room at Mammaw and Pappaw Conerly's house
Addie and MM making silly faces to Randy through the door
Addison running in circles at Toby's during Pawpaw Wilson's birthday dinner
Landry and Uncle Toby...look at those sick little eyes!
Addison being silly as always and entertaining the birthday boy!

It seems like our New Year's wish for the last three years has been the same...good health for sick children. Both of my kiddos have been sick (and have shared with mama and daddy) with a touch of pneumonia since Christmas, so we spent Monday in the doctor's office getting shots of Rocephin, Decadron and a prescription for Biaxin. I've also had to give Addison her breathing treatments again, which make her very moody. She has been back talking all week and I've had to count to ten on several occasions. It's like having a hormonal teenager in the house. Nonetheless, we've tried to enjoy the final week of the holidays and not having school. I worked most of the week, but it was definitely a ghost town. We celebrated Pawpaw Wilson's 78th birthday on Tuesday night with dinner at Colin's Uncle Toby's house. The kids must have been feeling better because they entertained everyone by running in circles, dancing and turning somersaults. No lie! Not sure where they get their energy. Our New Year's Eve plans were very modest this year with two sick kids, but we celebrated with glitter crowns, horns, party poppers, and fireworks (way before midnight, mind you) as we sat around the fire pit with my parents at Rebel Yell. Addison loved the fireworks and the party poppers, but Landry wasn't so sure about them and wanted to go inside after the first few. The kids were in bed by 9:30 and I decided to take a long, hot bath while I thought back to how I spent New Year's Eve ten years ago during Y2k. I actually stayed awake to see the ball drop this year, but only because Colin had stayed up to watch a movie. My how times have changed during the last ten years! Let me end by saying that 2009 made me realize more than ever how short life is. Colin lost his grandmother to cancer and then I suddenly lost someone whom I've known my entire life. She was like my second mom and there's not a week that goes by that I don't think about her or her family. When her kids hurt, it makes me hurt because they are so much like siblings to me. All that to say, that in 2010 my hope is to not take things for granted and to stop putting things off. I pray that I'll be a better wife, mother and friend, because you never know when the Lord is going to call you home. One thing I am sure about is that with the Lord as my Saviour, I'll be ready when he calls. What about you? Will you be ready? If you're not sure, then I pray that 2010 will be a memorable year for you in so many ways! Happy New Year, dear friends!

No comments: