Monday, July 31, 2006

Doctor's orders

It finally happened....the doctor put me on bed rest today after having irregular but frequent contractions over the weekend. I started having contractions around 3 a.m. Sunday, but honestly kept thinking I had a stomach ache. The contractions kept getting more intense and were strong enough to wake me up. They continued on Sunday and by Sunday afternoon, they were pretty uncomfortable. I tried to get some sleep Sunday night, but continued to have a few contractions through the night. I called the doctor's office first thing this morning and they wanted me to come in even though my contractions weren't regular. We got to the clinic at 10:30 and didn't leave until 1:20. My doctor had an emergency which is what kept us waiting. I still haven't dilated, but the doctor and I agreed that bed rest was probably best considering the frequency of the contractions. She said our goal is to make it to 37 weeks and I'm at 33 weeks today. So, it looks like there will be lots of reading, resting and watching TV in my future. I guess I better enjoy it....it will be the last long vacation I have until I retire. =) Oh, and Colin has to learn how to cook over the next few weeks, so if anyone has easy recipes to share with him....feel free to pass them along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agh! i hate your on bed rest. i was on it off and on with grace my entire pregnancy. it can get pretty boring-i found a few "odd" things to keep me busy that may help! i'm an organizer freak, so before aaron would leave for work, i'd have him put 2 dresser drawers at the end of the bed and i'd organize them and find things to go to goodwill. also, hobby lobby has some great watercolor kits. the pix is already drawn on it, and all you do is fill in the paint! i loved this. i used a lap table and painted away! we actually framed one of the really cute ones for graces' room so i can tell her one day about the experience:) i also had aaron buy me a blank cookbook and i wrote all my favorite recipes in it.
hope these help. try to really keep yourself occupied. i could get a little depressing for me, just knowing i wasn't able to do the usual around the house. aaron tried so hard, but you just want to get up yourself and do some things! good luck and we'll be thinking of you. we went into full-flege labor twice (at 27 and 32 weeks) that had to be stopped with tributilien (sp?) shots and i still made it to 38 weeks.
take care,
Sarah