Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Morning with the Cardiologist

Well, I had my dreaded cardiology appointment this morning to see what is going on with my ticker. After having an EKG and an echo/ultrasound of the heart, the doctor confirmed that my heart is beating extremely fast. He said that I have: Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). SVT is a general term describing any rapid heart rate originating above the ventricles, or lower chambers of the heart. SVT is an arrhythmia, or abnormal heart rhythm.

Basically, that just means that my heart is beating too fast (which I already knew). He said my heart is beating (even at rest) at 130-140, which is like I'm running all day long. Of course, that's what makes me feel dizzy and have shortness of breath. The ultrasound of my heart showed that the heart muscle itself tends tends to be strong (which is good). He gave me some beta blocker medication to lower my heart rate. Bad thing is that it also lowers your blood pressure and my blood pressure is generally normal, so they have to make sure that my blood pressure doesn't bottom out on this medication causing me to faint.

I have to wear a heart monitor for two days. I can take the heart monitor off on Friday morning and take it back for them to scan it. After they get the results from the monitor, they will determine what else needs to be done other than medication. He said that they will make a decision whether to do a C-section or let me labor naturally after they collect all the information they need.

I appreciate everyone's prayers and sweet e-mails over the past week. I'll start the medicine today and will also wait to see what the heart monitor says.

On a brighter note, I had my first baby shower on Saturday. Everything was wonderful and Addison Claire received lots of goodies. Colin's grandmother made her a beautiful quilt that will be perfect for Addison Claire to have tummy time on the floor.

No comments: