Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First Bank of Dad

Okay, so I was sitting in the airport last week and there was nothing to do to fill my time other than read the stack of magazines that had been piling up on my nightstand for weeks. I was reading an article in one of my Parenting magazines about a reward system in which this couple printed out paper money and declared dad as the "First Bank of Dad" so that their children could learn some responsbility and the value of a dollar. The children received money from the bank for things like cleaning up toys, getting dressed for school without a fuss, etc, and then they could exchange that money for treats and special privileges. At first, I thought...it's a neat concept, but my children are too young for this. However, I quickly changed my mind after coming home from D.C. and finding toys strewn all over Addison's room and my bedroom. I called a family meeting, explained the rules, and officially declared the "First Bank of Dad" and the "Mommy Mart" open for business. I printed out a stack of $1 and $5 dollar bills and explained to Addison and Landry that each day they could earn money for things like cleaning up their toys after they finished playing, getting dressed for school promptly, getting dressed for bedtime, going to bed without argument, etc. I realize Landry is still too young at this point, but it won't be long before he catches on and he's always copying everything that Addison does anyway. Addison listened intently as I then explained how once she earned her money, she could come to the "Mommy Mart" and cash it in for things like candy, a movie night at home with popcorn, a trip to the park, staying up an extra 30 minutes on the weekend, trip to the museum, etc. I printed out a price list of things at the Mommy Mart and taped it to the inside of the cabinet. So far, this has worked like a charm and Addison has been so proud of her paper money. When she is reluctant to get dressed or clean up, I just remind her about the reward money that is up for grabs and immediately she is gung-ho about following my orders. We'll see how long this lasts, but for now..I'm loving it!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

GREAT idea!

Carly Winborne said...

what a fantastic idea! i need something like this for JA, so keep me posted on how this is working for you.