Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Truly Thankful

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever." Psalm 107:1
I love Thanksgiving because it's the one time other than Christmas where our whole family takes a break from their busy schedules to come together and enjoy a delicious Southern meal and good conversation. I am thankful for many things, but above and beyond everything else...I am truly thankful for my family. During my prayer time each day, I always first thank God for the day...no matter how rough it sometimes is...and for my family. If you're like me, you sometimes get bogged down in the chaos of everyday life and forget for a short time what really matters. I mean why do I really stress about whether my back porch is covered in dust and dog hair? Yes, it drives me crazy, but is it going to kill me if I put off sweeping it off one more day? I say all of this more as a reminder to me than anyone else to treat everyday like Thanksgiving. This week has been a tough one as Colin and I have witnessed the ugliness of cancer and how it can suck the laughter and sweet spirit of a gentle and beloved grandmother right out. Granny is now home and hospice is caring for her. It's very tough to see her frail, weak body lying in a hospital bed and to know that my children won't remember her the way that Colin does. My mom and her family went through this same thing in April when my aunt died of cancer. I regret that we didn't visit with my aunt more while she was still here and that holidays were really the only time we ever saw her. I know that there's a season for everything and we all must die at some point, but we can also vow to live everyday with a heart full of joy and thanksgiving and remember that aside from family....some things just don't matter much. From our family to yours, we wish you a wonderful Turkey Day!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Happy Thanksgiving to your family, too!

Deanna said...

Such a sweet post.