Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekend of Nurturing

It's amazing how sometimes circumstances and plans change, which force you to slow down a bit. We had a packed schedule this weekend, but with Colin's grandmother (Granny) going into the hospital and a toddler who started running fever...we were forced to cancel many of our plans. Colin got a call Saturday morning saying he needed to head to the hospital because his grandmother had had a rough night Friday. I had a baby shower brunch to attend, so thankfully my mom watched the kids for an hour so that I could drop my gift off and say hello to Melanie. After I picked the kids up, we met Colin and his mom at McAlister's for lunch as they were leaving the hospital. We were all supposed to go to Flora Saturday evening for a surprise bonfire party for Colin's brother's 40th birthday. After much debate, we decided not to go given Granny's condition and I also worried about getting my kids out in the cold night air since both of them were starting to get congested. Since we didn't have to rush to leave Vicksburg by 4 p.m. to get to Flora by 5, Addison and I were able to spend some time outside together cleaning up the yard a bit. She loves any excuse to go outside and was so excited when I told her that we needed to clean up and pack up fall decorations so that we could start getting ready for Christmas decorations. We had a relaxing, low-key night at home until Addison started running fever around midnight. Let me just say that I felt a lot better about our decision to skip the bonfire since she ended up getting sick even though we hated missing out on David's party. We gave her Motrin and she slept through the night. She was a little better this morning, but we kept her home from church since she was still running fever. This is the first Sunday since I was on bed rest with Landry where we haven't been gone just about the entire Sunday. Addison hardly ever sits still long enough for me to hold her, but since she's been sick today...she has just wanted to lay in my lap and I haven't complained one bit. I love cuddling with her. She doesn't know that she's been nurturing my tired body and weary spirit as I have nurtured her with a mama's love. When she woke up from her nap this afternoon, her fever had gone up again to almost 104, so I imagine that we'll be going to see the pediatrician in the morning. We had plans to go to a Progressive Dinner tonight with our Sunday School class, but we're having to skip out on that too. At least we're getting to take it easy and give lots of love to a sick little girl and a super sweet baby boy. We're not really sure when Granny will get to go home from the hospital. She's not interested in eating or drinking, so they have been pumping her full of fluids to make her feel better. She's not in a lot of pain, but says she's weak and just doesn't feel well. The doctor said that unfortunately this is the beginning of a downhill spiral as the cancer progresses. They have arranged for her to have a hospital bed set up for her once she goes home. Thanks for all the prayers over the past couple of days. Please continue to pray that the doctors and hospice nurses can keep her comfortable.

3 comments:

AMANDA said...

I addison doing any better today?

Melissa said...

We are keeping her in our prayers.

Carrie said...

Take your time - outfits will wait!Whenever you get a chance or just drop them off at Krisa's is fine! Praying for everyone in your family - grandmothers and babies.