Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Pacifier Princess



I noticed this weekend when I was downloading pictures from my camera that Addison has her pacifier in almost every single picture that I've taken lately (except for the times I've taken it away from her). A couple of months ago, I tried to take her pacifier away completely. She was doing so well once she started school about only needing it at night, so I thought it might be time to go ahead and wean it away from her. Boy, was I wrong! I picked her up from my mom's house one afternoon and she had gone all day without it. As soon as I put her in the car, she started getting fussy and crying for it. I told her that it was "gone, gone" and that our dogs had eaten it and you would have thought that I killed her best friend. She screamed at the top of her lungs all the way home. When we got home, I put her in the bath tub (usually her favorite time of the day) and she still continued to scream and throw the biggest fit. Finally, I succumbed to the pressure and gave it to her. She immediately calmed down, reached for me, put her head on my shoulder and breathed a sigh of relief through sobs. It was like she was telling me that all was right with the world once again. Ever since that day, she has been more attached to it than ever! I guess she's scared to let it out of her sight for fear that the dogs might actually eat it. Since she's been sick with ear infections for the past month and a half, I haven't had the heart to take it away from her. I am hoping that maybe we can try again after she gets her tubes in the morning. Here are a few pictures of her playing intently (with the paci in her mouth, of course). In fact, one picture shows her objecting when Abby took her paci out and Abby quickly had to plug her back up in the next picture. Abby spent the night with us this weekend and Addison loves it when she's around. Abby is a pretty good entertainer too.

1 comment:

AMANDA said...

i'm right there with you on the pacifier thing. you don't realize how hard it is until you have your own children. then you tend to eat your words on many things. i use to say i won't have a child that uses a paci